Many people are reluctant to cook vegan meals because of the misconception that vegan recipes do not provide the protein necessary for a truly nutritious meal. Nothing could be farther from the truth. To prove this point, here is a high protein vegan recipe perfect for a meat replacement. It will not only give you lots of high protein; it will also make your mouth water. Be ready to give everyone at the table a second helping of this truly yummy feast!
Vegan Alfredo Pasta with Grilled Tofu Sticks
As you can see, this two part recipe will provide you with all the protein need. This recipe is great not just for daily fare; served with a zesty, high protein salad and a good dessert, it is actually a great party item. The added bonus of putting this on your table for company is seeing how your friends won’t miss meat at all!
Ingredients for Grilled Tofu Sticks
1 block extra firm tofu
1 ½ tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
2 teaspoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 ½ teaspoons pure olive oil
1 teaspoon brown sugar
½ cup organic breadcrumbs
½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
1. Drain tofu for half an hour before slicing. Cut the tofu into three layers then slice across to make 1½ inch sticks. When you do this, some more water will come out. Lay the sticks on paper towels and allow them to drain for a few minutes. (You can actually do this the night before you cook. Just put the drained tofu in the refrigerator)
2. Combine the tomato paste, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, olive oil, and sugar in a bowl.
3. Combine breadcrumbs and Italian seasoning in a shallow tray.
4. Dip each tofu stick in the sauce than quickly but gently roll it in the breadcrumbs.
5. Prepare a ribbed grill pan by spraying it with non-stick oil. If you are using a commercially prepared spray, check to make sure the oil contains no animal fat.
6. Cook the tofu sticks over medium-high heat (about 10 minutes for the first side). Wait until one side is golden brown and relatively firm before flipping it to the other side. Do each of the other sides for about 5 or 6 minutes. (If you are not so confident about flipping the sticks without breaking them, use a large non-stick pan to grill.)
7. Set tofu sticks aside.
Ingredients for the Vegan Alfredo Pasta
12 ounces eggless fettuccine
2 cups unsweetened almond milk
4 ounces soy cream cheese plus 2 more for topping
4 tablespoons blanched sliced almonds
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast, plus 2 more for sprinkling
½ teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
A scant dash of nutmeg
1/3 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 cup loosely packed parsley leaves, chopped
1. Boil salted water in a large pot and cook the fettuccine as directed in the package. When al dente, drain pasta but reserve 1 cup of the pasta water.
2. Combine the almond milk, 4 ounces of soy cream cheese, almonds, lemon zest, nutritional yeast, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a blender. Process all the ingredients until you have a smooth mixture.
3. In a large sauté pan, sauté garlic over medium heat, stirring until it softens (about 1 minute). Add the almond milk mixture and 1/2 cup pasta water.
4. Let mixture simmer until thick and creamy, about 7 minutes. Add the oregano and a dash of nutmeg. Give it a final stir to mix well. If necessary, add the remaining pasta water to thin out mixture.
5. Remove mixture from heat, put the fettuccini and parsley. Toss well to combine.
To plate your creation
Distribute pasta among four bowls. Top each with bits of cream cheese, sprinkle with nutritional yeast and some parsley. You can either place the grilled tofu sticks on top of the pasta or just arrange them on the side. Voila! You have a good party meal.